Ayr dating online courtship dating only
The church of pre-Reformation times was superseded by a new church built in 1766. A., was ordained to the charge on the 22nd of July, 1880.
Just minutes walk from Ayr town centre and Ayr seafront, it’s also the perfectly located to enjoy a spot shopping, attending race meetings at Ayr Racecourse and for a leisurely stroll along the long sandy beaches just a short distance away.
The Macadam family, of tarmacadam fame, lived at Craigengillian Estate which is found on the outskirts of Dalmellington.
To the south-east of the parish is the county boundary with the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright and the Parish of Carsphairn.
At Waterside, some 3 miles downstream from Dalmellington, was the site of the largest ironworks in Ayrshire.
Founded in 1847 by the Dalmellington Iron Company, extended in 1866 by their successors Bairds & Dalmellington Ltd, and subsequently modernised, it exploited the plentiful iron ore and coal resources of the Doon Valley.
Notwithstanding these drawbacks, it continued in use as a sacred edifice until the erection of a more commodious and comfortable church in 1846, after which the old one was converted into dwelling houses, but has in later times been used as a hall for Sunday School, church, and public purposes." "At first, after the Reformation, there was only a reader in Dalmellington, and his duty was to read the Scriptures, and the prayers, out of John Knox's prayer book. From this period date the session records, beginning with the ministry of James Nasmyth, M. It also contained one of the largest ironworks in Ayrshire.